The International Museums Office (IMO) was created by a decision of the International Commission for Intellectual Cooperation (CICI), League of Nations, in July 1926. Its secretariat was based at the International Institute for Intellectual Cooperation (IICI) in Paris. It was governed by a Commission de direction composed of five members, including: a delegate from the CICI; a delegate from the Sub-commission of arts and letters; the Secretary of the CICI; and, the Director of the IICI. The Commission de direction was further guided by a Management Committee and a Committee of friends of museums. The Office published the journal Mouseion as well as the monograph series Museographie, and organized international conferences on matters of importance for the international museum community. In 1936, it carried out a study which would result in a draft Convention for the Protection of Historic Buildings and Works of Art in Times of War presented to the League of Nations’ Council and General Assembly in 1938. The International Museums Office ceased its functions in 1946 with the creation of the United Nations system, UNESCO and International Council of Museums (ICOM).